Heriland presents the following training opportunity: “Writing a Journal Paper: a hands-on workshop for heritage and landscape researchers”, taking place 15 September and 6 October 2021.
The target audience for the training are junior researchers (pursuing research master’s or PhD) in the field of heritage and/ or landscape studies.
The training will take place online via Zoom. Participation is free of charge.
Places are limited and are allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis.
A Certificate for Participation (1ec) will be provided to participants.
To register: please email the HERILAND training coordinator, email@example.com with an abstract for the workshop and an explanation of your motivation for participating in the training, no later than Friday 10th September.
Writing a journal paper: a hands-on workshop for heritage and landscape researchers
L.R.Egberts and J. Renes, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and A. Pereira Roders, Technical University Delft, the Netherlands
This workshop is aimed at PhD researches who have performed a part of their research and are looking for ways to publish on their ongoing research. It offers a very first introduction to paper-writing for academic journals and helps you get started on the process. You are expected to bring in a 200-word abstract of your paper idea and the name of a potential journal in mind. At the end you will have a peer-reviewed version of your abstract and an introduction ready. But most importantly: you know how to work towards getting your first paper published.
After this course researchers:
• Have a clear understanding of the process of submission, review and publication of academic journals
• Know what steps are required to select a journal and shape a writing plan that fits the brief
• Have learned the basics of providing peer-review to other authors
• Are familiar with the aims, scopes and cooperation possibilities with the Journal of European Landscapes
Sessions (dates, topics and preparatory tasks):
Wednesday September 15, 13:00-15:00:
– preparation: students write a 200-word abstract of a potential paper
– Introduction to the masterclass, moderator: Linde Egberts
– Introduction to paper writing and peer-review process by Ana Pereira Roders
– example journal: Journal of European Landscapes by Hans Renes
– Peer-review of abstract for a specific journal of choice
October 6, 9:00-11:00:
– preparation: students write a draft Introduction to their potential paper along the guidelines of the journal of choice.
– Introduction to the second day, moderator: Hans Renes
– peer review of introductions based on the review format that our journals use for the review process, led by Hans Renes and Linde Egberts
– making a writing plan for the rest of the paper
For those who are interested in publishing with Journal of European Landscapes, there is the opportunity to have another meeting on draft versions of papers in December with an editor.
Work load (in ec, 1ec = 28 hours):
Preparation first meeting: 4 hours
Preparation second meeting: 16 hours
Contact time: 4 hours
HERILAND is a pan-European research and training network on cultural heritage in relation to Spatial Planning and Design. It is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement No 813883.